Monday, June 7, 2010

Visit From the Other Side

(Archival - Original dream recorded 14 July, 2005)

This is really three dreams that occured relatively close to one another, but they all relate to the same subject matter, so I've included them in the same description. I am in the house I grew up in and I am standing in the kitchen. My father is sitting at the kitchen table and my mother is cooking something on the stove. I am aware that a car has pulled into our driveway. I walk into the front room and look out our picture window to see who is arriving. The car is a black old-school Cadillac with red trim, and it looks dull like it hasn't been taken care of. My grandmother (grandma Humig, my mom's mother) gets out of the car and comes into the house. At this point I lose this part of the dream. Sometime before the next dream begins (I think the background is foggy and unfocused with random color bursting here and there) I intuit that my grandmother has become sick has and died. (Note: My grandma Humig died January 2005, was confined to a wheelchair months before she died, and hasn't driven a car for years.) I then find myself in the kitchen again. The setup and appliances are from when I was much younger, but my parent's look as they do in 2005. Again my father is sitting at the table and my mother is cooking, I am standing near our old refrigerator. My dad and I are talking about my grandmother being dead and about how much we all miss her. I am then again aware of someone pulling up into the driveway. I still stand at the fridge, but our kitchen has a bay window that connects the kitchen and living room, and I look through it and see a black Cadillac in our driveway again, but the style is a bit different than the first time I saw it. The roof is shaped differently. Grandma gets out of the car and comes in the house. My dad looks at me for a moment as I open the fridge with a look of bewilderment on his face because he knows grandma is dead and we were just talking about it. She walks into the kitchen, and my dad roboticly turns to greet her and starts talking to her as if nothing were out of place. As he does this I see a little starburst of light in my vision for a split second and hear the sound of glass shattering. At this point I become lucid and realize that my grandmother is dead. I walk up to her and embrace her, I am crying at this point. I tell her how much I love her and how much I miss her. I fade from this dream and then begin another forgotten dream. Later I am standing on the front porch of my old house and I am talking with Jan. (She is the mother of an autisitc teenager I once worked with.) I am telling her about these two dreams I just had. The amusing bit of this is that Jan is a very traditional Christian woman, and I am holding a notebook with a pile of cannabis on it just as casually as if I'm going to church, and she never seems to notice.

No comments:

Post a Comment